Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Soup and Granola

Well, I did good for one day. Today I am home alone with virtually no distractions and already my mind is going places it shouldn't. In an effort to keep the evil thoughts at bay, I have been busy in the kitchen.

First I made this potato soup with some modifications. I only pureed one potato into the soup, the other I diced and added in after because I like a chunky soup. I cut back on the chicken broth by 1/2 cup since I left out the potato. I used fat free milk and fat free Fage greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. I also added some garlic powder and smoked paprika because I thought it was a little bland. It came out pretty darn tasty but 1 cup portions seemed really small so I portioned it out in 2 cup portions. It's still healthier than most potato soups.

Next up, I made my favorite granola. This recipe was given to me by one of my coworkers and I love it because it is so adaptable. I have made it with so many different kinds of dried fruits and nuts.

4 cups old fashioned oats (not quick cooking)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup chopped nuts of your choice
1/2 cup dried fruit of your choice

Bake @ 350 for 20 minutes, stir x3 while baking, granola will harden as it cools. Add dried fruit once granola is out of oven. You can also add chocolate or white chocolate chips at this point, though I never do. I increase the amount of nuts and fruit if I skip the coconut. I love using dried cherries,blueberries and pecans. I also usually double the cinnamon and nutmeg because I love those flavors.

The worst part about cooking...cleaning up! I am off to clean up the kitchen and then I should probably shower and get out of my pajamas. We are meeting some friends and there 2 adorable girls for dinner tonight so at least I have something to look forward to now that all my cooking is done. It is nearly 60 degrees here today which is unheard of here in January. I hope it you are enjoying some spring like weather wherever you are!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back, its good to see you again! Good luck this cycle!

    ReplyDelete